Plaza Patria and Exedra
City of Aguascalientes
The Plaza de Armas or Plaza de la Patria gets its name from the military parades held during the period of the viceroyalty.
The plaza is full of life and is the heart of the city. You will find all kinds of street entertainers, musicians and artists.
Calle Moctezuma 125,
Downtown (449) 915.9504
Plaza Patria y Exedra
It’s a great place to just relax and people-watch on a park bench or at one of the many street cafés and feel the heartbeat of the city
La Plaza de la Patria, previously known as Plaza de Armas, is at the center of the city’s life and has witnessed historic changes in Aguascalientes. In the center of the plaza is the Exedra, a monument erected in 1808 in honor of King Charles IV of Spain.
At the top of the column there was supposed to be a bust of King Charles, but instead a bust of his son, Ferdinand VII, was put up, and was taken down in 1821 after the Independence of Mexico was achieved.
Years later, in 1887, the governor, Francisco G. Hornedo, ordered the construction of a gazebo in the square. In 1947 the Plaza underwent radical changes which shaped the way it is today.
During the same period the fountain was redesigned and dedicated to the renowned musician and composer Manuel M. Ponce, who introduced impressionist and modernist trends to Mexico and who catalogued a wide range of rhythms from around the country in the years following the revolution.
In the early 1980s a Republican Eagle was placed at the top of the column. It is a replica of that created by the sculptor from Aguascalientes, Jesús F. Contreras.